ELKHART, MAJOR JAZZ FESTIVAL WITHIN EASY TRAVEL DISTANCE, GEARS UP FOR 2011
Annual Event to Re-emphasize Traditional Jazz, Feature Top OKOM Talent
In accordance with COHJS policy to inform our readers of news about jazz events within reasonable travel distance of Central Ohio, we print below a list of Traditional/Classic Jazz bands and musicians to be included, among other groups, in the 2011 Elkhart (IN) Jazz Festival, scheduled for June 24-26. These names will be familiar to most, some having performed for COHJS, or mentioned in connection with other important festivals or jazz parties nationwide (like Chautauqua, attended by about half of your COHJS Board every September).
The news here is the swing back toward Traditional from the more modern trend that this festival had taken very recently.
Some background is in order here. The Elkhart event, like several of the other the big festivals around the country, though founded in and originally devoted predominately to Traditional Jazz, recently had changed its emphasis toward other, more 'eclectic" or modern forms, to the chagrin of many of its long-time attendees, very nearly wiping it off the map, in the words of one observer. But 2011 is to be different. A quick look at the preliminary 2011 band and musician line-up below should reassure as to the festival's current re-emphasis on the Traditional. Other groups we've probably not heard of, locals, and a big name headline act will appear as well, but it's clear that OKOM will be well represented, to wit:
- Bill Allred's Classic Jazz Band
- Dave Bennett Quartet - today's Benny Goodman
- Cakewalkin' Jass Band, with Duke Heitger
- Eddie Metz Trio, w/Rossano Sportiello, Nicki Parrott
- Bucky Pizzarelli Quartet, w/Derek Smith, piano, Aaron Weinstein, young jazz violin sensation, & Jerry Bruno, a 93 year old bassist
- Original Salty Dogs
- Statesmen of Jazz, w/Duke Heitger, Allen Vache, Dan Barrett, Ehud Asherie, Jim Chirillo, Frank Tate, Butch Miles, Becky Kilgore
This article is from the November 2010 issue of The Dixieland Jazz Hot Sheet, our COHJS newsletter.